Friday, November 27, 2009

Mise en place (pronounced [miz ɑ̃ plas], literally "putting in place") is a French phrase defined by The Culinary Institute of America "everything in place", as in set up

Have you ever watched Martha cook; where she has everything premeasured in little bowls? Well, for culinary purposes that is ‘mise en place’. In reflection I look at my life as a sort of everyday mise en place. As life happens I grab it and put everyhting it’s place.

My favorite job was climbing poles and installing dial tone. Due to a foot injury I had to move to an ‘inside’ office job and trust me this was not everything it it’s place! My spirit was taking a bit of a beating in the new world. What did lift me was Julie and I continuing our cooking classes. We learned Italian desserts, Italian breads, southwest cooking and even a breakfast class. Doesn’t everyone know how to make breakfast? Apparently we didn’t!

I could not ignore this burning drive to cook. I was lucky enough to have an employer who offered continuing education. Within six months of the new world I working in I enrolled in the Culinary Program at the Art Institute of Seattle. This program is intended to be a two year course which I managed to stretch out for nearly five years. More about that later! I was so excited to get started, what would I learn next?

I was enrolled but when was my first class? What was I going to cook? What day of the week? What amazing food would I be touching? Hold up! My first class wasn’t going to happen for another four and one half months and it just so happened to be safety and sanitation and guess what? I didn’t get to touch any amazing food. In fact I didn’t get to touch any food at all. It wasn’t until the fall quarter that I got to take my first culinary lab class.

There we were all lined up in our black and white chef pants, our white chef coat, white kerchief and a white floppy hat. What was with the hat! I was feeling a bit cocky. Afterall I had all those cooking classes with Julie under my hat and by now I was a pro. Well at least with chiffonade! Bring it on I thought and did they ever. I was soon to find out that I didn’t know much of anything!

If there is one thing I learned and learned well it really is about ‘mise en place. Whether it was the uniform the I wore, the notes I took in class, having all my equipment ready or learning how to lay out the ingredients before I began. Everything had an oder and the more I applied this the more I discovered that ‘mise en place’ just makes sense.

Taking a look at how it all shaped up I am surprised.. Throughout my years in school I was able to study with amazing chef instructors; work with some of the finest Chefs in Seattle and the rest of the country; travel to competitions; do an externship in Austria and finally graduate at the top of my class. So as you see it was ‘mise en place’…everything had it’s place! Until our next meal…roux the day!

1 Sassy Tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment